ICSI, Intracytoplasmic sperm injection
One of the most innovative techniques in the field of human reproduction is intracytoplasmic sperm injection, where, with important safety and high technology measures, a pregnancy is achieved from the implantation of the fertilized ovum in the uterus of the woman. This treatment is a variant of in vitro fertilization (IVF).
In the intracytoplasmic sperm injection, the woman’s eggs are extracted outside her body and taken to the laboratory, where by means of high-resolution microscopes and micromanipulators, a single sperm is injected into the interior of each egg. After 2 to 3 days, the fertilized eggs (already embryos of 4 or 8 cells) are introduced directly into the woman’s uterus so that they implant there and finish their development for 9 months.
ICSI treatment is recommended when
- A severe male factor is present.
- It is under mobile sperm count in ejaculated semen.
- There is a very low sperm concentration and there are few normal spermatozoa.
- There is total absence of sperm in ejaculation. In this case, testicular puncture or biopsy is performed, and in a high percentage of cases sperm is obtained that can be used to make ICSI.
The probability of obtaining a pregnancy with an IVF-ICSI cycle may vary between 20% and 50%, according to factors such as:
- The age of the woman, which may be the most influential factor in prognosis of success.
- The duration of infertility.
- Infertility factors.
The cumulative total of the pregnancy rate after three treatment cycles may be greater than 70%.
If you need more information about this treatment.
Contact us in our lines:
- Medellín: +57(4) 268 80 00
- Rionegro: +57(4) 2 68 80 00, option 3
- Bogotá: +57(1) 619 00 17, +57(1) 746 98 69 and +57 312 774 8007
- Cartagena: +57(5) 693 04 34
- Pereira: +57(6) 340 17 09 and +57(6) 324 39 74
- Whatsapp: +57 314 623 6485